Advice, Complaints and Compliments

Making a complaint is one way that helps organisations to learn lessons from their mistakes and to prevent them from happening to anyone else.

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint in writing, by email, over the telephone or in person. Your complaint should be made as soon as possible. This should be within a year of the event. You can make a complaint on your own or on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Who should I contact with my complaint?

This depends on which NHS service you want to complain about:

Community Services

If you have a concern, complaint or compliment about a community service such as a health centre, physiotherapy or podiatry service, please contact Whittington Health's PALS service on tel: 020 7288 5551 / email:

Mental Health Services

If you have a concern or question about a local mental health service, please contact Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust's Patient Experience Advisors on 020 8702 6705 or You can also call 020 8702 4700 if you are making a formal complaint.


If you have a concern, complaint or compliment about a hospital, please click on the links below which will take you to their contact details:

Doctor (GP), Dentist, Pharmacist or Optician

If you have a comment, complaint or compliment about a doctor (GP), dentist, pharmacy or optician, please contact the practice directly in the first instance. If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the practice, or you would prefer not to talk to them about the complaint, please contact NHS England: email: / tel: 0300 311 22 33 or write to: NHS England, PO Box 16728, Redditch, B97 9PT.

For help finding your nearest GP, dentist, pharmacist or optician, you can use the online search on our website or call 0300 311 22 33. To find out more about your choices as a patient, visit NHS Choices.

Haringey CCG and the services it commissions

If you have a complaint relating to the way an NHS service has been commissioned, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, please contact Haringey CCG directly on: 020 3688 2724 or email

Can I get help and support with making my complaint?

Yes. An organisation called POhWER can provide you with support and advocacy. You can contact POhWER by phone on 0203 553 5960 or email You can also visit their website for more information - - or download an information leaflet.

What will happen once I make my complaint?

Complaints will be dealt with in a manner that is proportional to the issues raised. Your complaint will be investigated and the NHS organisation responsible will aim to resolve the concerns and, where needed, will take action to prevent the incident from happening again.

Will my complaint remain confidential?

Your right to confidentiality will be respected throughout the investigation. However, there may be times when we need to share information without your consent, for example to protect children and vulnerable adults.

What if I am still not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint you should contact the service directly to see if they can look into the case further. You also have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although the Ombudsman can waive them if it is perceived that there is good reason to do so. You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or

Further information is also available on the Ombudsman website . You can write to the Ombudsman at: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.

Quick links

Complain or compliment:

Need help to complain?

Contact Powher:

0203 553 5960 

Not happy with the outcome of your complaint?

Contact the Health Service Ombudsman:

0345 015 4033

Last updated: 24/12/2019